- Charles P. Fisher, M.D. (Berkley, CA)
- Barton J. Blinder, M.D., Ph. D. (Newport Beach, CA)
- Andrei Novac, M.D. (Newport Beach, CA)
- Henry Zvi Lothane, M.D. (New York, NY)
- Richard Tuch, M.D. (Los Angeles, CA)
With changing approaches to psychoanalytic technique, the use of free association and understanding of free association may have diminished. This educational activity will emphasize the historical and contemporary perspectives on free association and apply further research on the utility and significance of this foundational psychoanalytic concept. This discussion group will present a paper on free association and links to neuroscience contributions accompanied by a slide presentation and discussion. Attendees will receive three reference papers with an overview of the history of free association, changing perspectives, and the evolving therapeutic implications. Integration with neuroscience contributions will be emphasized in terms of the connection to therapeutic change.